Monday, January 10, 2011

Arrived at last

It's been a busy few days. It actually feels like a month has passed since we first got here. We've only been here two full days, and tonight is our third night. Too much has been jammed into those days. On our first day, we rode into Santiago via guagua (a van). There were 24 people in there at once, and I'm not sure I could even move when everyone was packed in. I can't say too much right now, but it's been more living in these past 2 days than I've ever had before.

Currently, I'm incredibly tired because a rooster outside my window doesn't know the meaning of dawn. He just crows away at 2 and 3 in the morning. This city never seems to sleep, which is a big shock coming from suburbia, where everything shuts down after 9 or 10 at night. I got to sleep to noise outside my window and I wake up to noise outside my window.


The most frustrating thing at the moment is my terrible Spanish. There's a lot more to communicating with people than the language being spoken, but it helps a great deal. I've managed to blurt out some awkwardly prounounced phrases, but not much more than that. I try to keep up with the conversation, but I end up latching onto the few basic words I can understand and can't go deeper.


I'm going to go journal now, but I thought I'd post an update. Vaya con dios

Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment